PHS 398 Modular Budget Form
The Grants.gov PHS 398 Modular Budget form can populate/transmit the necessary modular budget information and attachments required for your application. You should check your program announcement for instructions on whether a modular budget is appropriate for your application and the sponsor specific requirements and instructions for the form. Below outlines how to add modular budget information and attachments in Kuali to map to the given fields in the form.
Once a Grants.gov opportunity containing the PHS 398 Modular form is attached and marked as included in your federally-sponsored proposal you can follow the following instructions to populate/map the necessary budget information and attachments.
Within the Kuali Research Budget you have a tab specifically for the Modular Budget which can be found as an option on the left hand menu as 'Modular'.
Within the Modular Budget tab it will give you the available budget periods along the top as tabs and the necessary Direct Costs, Consortium F&A, and F&A sections in each so you can populate the form. This information can either be entered manually without a detailed budget or you can you use the 'sync' button to pull information from the entered detailed budget and it will round to the nearest module. More information on how F&A is calculated after sync and configuration options can be found in the Proposal Budget - Modular Budget F&A Calculation Method Options article.
If you choose to use 'sync' you can always alter the pulled amounts in the Modular Budget or if the detailed budget changes you can use the 'sync' action again to pull the updated information. After manual changes are made or new elements added you can use the 'calculate' button to update the calculations. And although you can toggle between the budget periods along the top you can also use the 'Summary Overview' button to see a snapshot of all years.
All budget periods in the modular budget form will be populated based on the user maintained entries in the Modular Budget window, as follows:
Direct Costs (Section A in the Modular Budget)
- Direct Costs Less Consortium F&A: this is the manually entered amount entered or the sync’d value from the detailed budget that's rounded up to the nearest $25,000.
- Consortium F&A: either manually entered or the sync'd total of subcontract F&A expenses from the detailed budget. This value does not get rounded and does not count towards the direct cost module amount (These expenses are really direct costs in the prime budget, but can be subtracted from the prime total when submitting Modular budget to NIH.)
- Total Direct Costs: This is the sum of the Direct Costs Less Consortium F&A and Consortium F&A which auto sums in Kuali.
NOTE: The cost elements for subcontract F&A are defined in the Kuali parameters:
Indirect Costs (Section B in the Modular Budget)
The indirect costs will be detailed by rate and can be added via the '+Add Rate' button. If there are multiple applicable rates for the period, a detailed indirect cost line will be populated for each rate in the form.
Cognizant Agency: This information (agency name, POC name and phone number) is populated from the proposal's Organization record, using the rolodex entry for the maintained cognizant auditor. This is maintained at the institutional level and is not fillable on the modular budget page of the proposal.
- Modular Budget Expenses are mapped from the Kuali Modular Budget screen of the Budget Version marked as 'Include with Submission'.
- Modular expenses can be manually entered or synchronized from the detailed budget.
- Please be aware, if you have both a detailed budget and a modular budget completed in the Proposal Budget you must check the ‘Modular’ box in the Budget Settings of the Budget in order for the Modular totals to map appropriately to the SF424 face page, otherwise the detailed budget totals (which may differ) will map.
- Navigate to the Kuali Research Attachments tab -> Proposal panel
- Select the +Add button to create a new attachment
- Select the desired Attachment Type associated with this form - all start with 'PHS_ModBud'
- For example, choose 'PHS_ModBud_PersonJustif'
- Select Status of 'Complete'
- Enter a Description (optional if attachment type doesn't allow multiple)
- Upload the desired Attachment
- Click 'Save'
Repeat the above steps for the additional attachments you need to add to this form and please refer to your program announcement for instructions on the files required for the application. The below chart outlines the Attachment Types that map to the associated section in the form.
|Form Section||Kuali Attachment Type||
Kuali Narrative Type ID
Additional Narrative Justification
- After successfully completing go to the S2S Opportunity Search tab -> Forms panel
- Check the PHS398_ModularBudget form in the select column and click the 'Create PDF' button
- Also, if this form needs to be included in the submission remember to check the 'Include' checkbox prior to final submission to Grants.gov.
- Upon Print and/or Submission the form will populate like below with the referenced attachments appended behind the form.
Related Maintenance Table(s)
- F&A Rate Types
- Object Code