The S2S functionality in Kuali Research facilitates submission of federal proposals created in Proposal Development directly to the Grants.gov on-line system. The information and attachments added in the Kuali proposal record will populate the necessary forms and validate just like a live Grants.gov Adobe package. This system-to-system (S2S) application transmittal is only available for certain federal funding opportunities and the eligibility requirements are specified by each sponsoring agency.
The S2S page allows you to:
- Search for and select a Grants.gov funding opportunity
- Review the Opportunity schema to know which data elements and forms are required
- Review the list of which mandatory forms are not mapped to Kuali data and require utilizing the User Attached S2S Form upload tool with ‘unstitched’ forms from Grants.gov
- Select which ‘optional’ forms are to be transmitted with the submission
- Upload ‘unstitched’ Grants.gov forms to fulfill submission requirements for opportunities with forms currently unavailable in Kuali.
- Review the application for errors by performing a data validation check against specific Grants.gov requirements
- Review the application for NIH specific validations using the NIH Validation Service
- Submit the application electronically to Grants.gov (S2S)
- Retrieve the agency tracking ID and submittal status of the application after institutional submission has been completed
A full list of federal forms supported by Kuali can be found here but if not supported the User Attached Forms functionality is an alternative. The S2S tab in Kuali Research proposal development provides a system-to-system connection between Kuali and the www.grants.gov website. You can search for and select an eligible funding opportunity to link to your proposal in Kuali and once attached the details and associated forms will populate the S2S subsection. The S2S tab in Kuali includes validations to check your application for any errors or omissions with the www.grants.gov website before you submit. There is also now the NIH specific validation service to check your application against the NIH eCommons website for sponsor specific requirements. Users can also print the forms to PDF for review or record retention pre and post submission. And once the application is submitted you can also track your submission on the S2S tab in Kuali which will give you the GG Tracking Number, Status, and Agency Tracking Number.
Before You Begin
Implementation Concerns: Modifying or deleting table values could affect GG functionality if mapping logic exists (for example, with Proposal Type if you change the description order or delete certain entries it will alter the mapping logic). Before deleting or repurposing out of the box table values for proposal development please confirm there will be no impact to Grants.gov S2S functionality and fell free to reach out to Kuali for assistance in this analysis.
Configuration: S2S requires some technical setup for on-premise schools before it can be used - please review the S2S Configuration article for more detail.