RR Budget Form(s)
The Grants.gov RR Budget forms can populate/transmit the necessary budget information and attachments required for your application. You should check your program announcement for instructions for the sponsor specific requirements and instructions for the form. The RR Budget form has two versions - the RR Budget and the RR Budget10. The only difference between these two is the RR Budget10 allows up to 10 budget years, whereas, the RR Budget only allows up to 5 years. Also, there are different narrative types to use when uploading the budget justification attachment. Below outlines how to add budget information and attachments in Kuali to map to the given fields in the form.
Once a Grants.gov opportunity containing a RR Budget form is attached and marked as included in your federally-sponsored proposal you can follow the following instructions to populate/map the necessary budget information and attachments.
The amounts for the RR Budgets will map from the detailed budget you have created in Kuali Research and marked as 'Include for Submission' in the budget version dropdown; note that if you have multiple budget versions but none are yet marked for inclusion it will use the last budget added to the proposal for mapping. Also, the Personnel and Non-Personnel line items added in your detailed budget will map to the RR Budget based on how you've configured your Cost Element mapping to Budget Categories in your local environments.
This guide sheet will provide some tips to understand where expenses appear, how to reassign Budget categories at the proposal level to meet sponsor budget requirements, and other tools when budgeting.
All Senior/Key and Other Personnel will map information as entered within your detail budget. Below are tips and FYIs on how the logic will work.
Tips for Senior/Key Persons:
- For the 5 year budget: A maximum of eight (8) Senior/Key persons can appear in full detail in Section A. The PI is always listed in the first line. If your budget has more than 8 senior persons an Addition Senior Key Persons attachment will be automatically generated and submitted with this form (this system generated attachment will appear in the Attachments/ Proposal Narratives section of the proposal).
- For the 10 Year Budget form: Section A: Senior/Key personnel can support up to 100 persons. Addition Senior Key Persons attachment will be automatically generated and submitted with this form.
Senior/Key Budget Person Order:
The order in which proposal person names appear in the Key Personnel tab of the Kuali Proposal Development record is the order in which they will be published on forms AND in the Grants.gov (S2S) RR Budget section A Senior/Key Personnel. The arrow/sort order tool allows the user to manipulate the sequence of these proposal persons in a given role to conform to sponsor instructions or to adjust the listing after synchronizing hierarchy proposals. To change the order, click on the arrow icon to move the proposal person up or down. The PI will always be listed first and cannot be moved. The last person listed will only have an up arrow; the first person listed will only have a down arrow; persons in the middle of the list will have both an up and a down arrow.
- Persons maintained as the Investigator, Multi-PI, or Co-Investigator will always map to Key Person section, if applied to the budget (trumps budget category)
- If your personnel cost element is NOT mapped to Senior Personnel but should be for a particular submission, change the Budget Category for this line item after you add the person to the budget person detail.
Base Salary field for Senior Persons
Users have the ability to override the Senior Personnel Base Salary that maps to the RR Budget forms by using the ‘Base Salary by Period’ link available for each person added in the Proposal Budget. This option is available when clicking on the Details link for the line item.
Mapping for Base Salary for all years in the RR Budget forms defaults to the Base Salary input in the Project Personnel panel for each individual and does not take into account any inflation for out years. If users want to map the inflated salary that was used for salary calculations or a different base salary (i.e. NIH salary cap) you can utilize the Base Salary by Period pop-up window. This functionality can be turned on or off using system Parameter ‘enableBudgetCalculatedSalary’; when enabled (set to Y) then the link becomes available on the panel. Also, if you use the 'Recalculate' option you can auto-calculate the Salary with inflation rates established in the Rates tab.
Be aware - the Base Salary by Period functionality does NOT affect salary calculations; it only affects the Base Salary amount that maps to the RR Budget forms.
Changing Budget Category
Sometimes the program announcement specifies specific instructions for where they want to see expenses mapped that are not congruent to the normal categories. Within the Details of any line item you can change the budget category from the default to map to the desired section in the form. This does not change the object code used but will change where this expense will map to the RR Budget form.
Other Non-Personnel Expenses
All other non-personnel line items will map to the other sections in the RR Budget based on the budget category mapping configured in your local environment. Be aware that Tuition is considered an “Other Direct Cost” by definition on this Budget form, and is grouped with other similar expenses in line 8.
If you need to map an expense to a different category other than the default you can change the mapping as mentioned previously in the Changing Budget Category section.
The Indirect Costs will be detailed by rate and if there are multiple applicable rates for the period an indirect cost line will be populated for each rate. The Type, Rate, and Base will all map automatically from the budget information.
The Cognizant Federal Agency information (agency name, POC name and phone number) is populated from the proposal's Organization record, using the address book entry for the maintained cognizant auditor.
Lastly, the Fee section is not typically allowed on a grant or cooperative agreement so we do not support/map anything to this field.
Each RR Budget form will have it's own associated budget justification narrative type that can be added in the Attachments tab of the proposal. The budget justification attachment is required before you can print/validate the budget form.
- Navigate to the Kuali Research Attachments tab -> Proposal panel
- Select the +Add button to create a new attachment
- Select the desired Attachment Type associated with this form (see full list below)
- For example, choose 'BudgetJustification'
- Select Status of 'Complete'
- Enter a Description (optional if attachment type doesn't allow multiple)
- Upload the desired Attachment
- Click 'Save'
Please refer to your program announcement for instructions on the file requirements for the application and the appropriate format/content of the justification. The below chart outlines the Attachment Type that is associated with each RR Budget form.
|Form||Kuali Attachment Type||
Kuali Narrative Type ID
- After successfully completing above requirements go to the S2S Opportunity Search tab -> Forms panel.
- Check the RR Budget form in the select column and click the 'Create PDF' button.
- Also, if this form needs to be included in the submission remember to check the 'Include' checkbox prior to final submission to Grants.gov.
- Upon Print and/or Submission the form will populate like below with the referenced attachments appended behind the form.
Related Maintenance Table(s)
- Budget Category
- Budget Category Mapping
- Budget Category Maps
- Budget Category Type
- F&A Rate Types
- Object Code