The Budget’s Modular screen is used to fulfill National Institutes of Health (NIH) form funding opportunity submission requirements for applications that require use of the modular budget format. The hallmarks of the modular format are:
- The sponsor is a PHS or NIH institute or center. The PHS is the only sponsor that uses the modular format.
- The funding mechanism sets funding limits by modules of $25,000 of direct costs.
- Funding mechanisms vary on the level of direct costs in any single budget period (not including consortium F&A costs). You must refer to the specific opportunity for the allowable levels.
- A detailed budget is not submitted to the sponsor.
- The modular budget form is populated with the direct cost amount per year, expressed as modules, consortium F&A costs (if any), and specific narrative attachments to justify expenses for personnel, variance in the number of modules requested from year to year (if any), and sub-awards/consortium (if any).
- Your detailed Kuali Budget will automatically populate the require fields in the Modular screen and the modular budget form it directly supports by using the Sync button.
The modular budget can be manually entered directly in the modular budget page. Or if a detailed budget has been created you can use the 'sync' functionality to generate the modular budget amounts and then edit as desired - the budget line item details are not transmitted to the sponsors, but may be needed by your internal approval process.
In the Budget Settings screen the Modular Budget checkbox should be checked so the correct amounts from the Modular Budget map correctly to the RR 424 coverpage form. Also, if the Modular Budget checkbox is selected in the initial budget creation modal then by default the 'Exclude Subcontract F&A from Direct Cost Limit' will also be selected. This checkbox allows you to exclude subcontract F&A from direct cost limit sync within the Modular budget - but if you don't want this option you can manually uncheck in Budget Settings prior to doing the sync action.
Also, be aware that the newly redesigned Modular Budget option is now available if enabled and instructions for that user interface are below in the Redesigned Modular Budget section.
The Period tabs along the top allows you to view each budget period and the Total Expense Summary will display the period total costs and project total costs for the modular budget. The Action buttons available:
- Summary Overview: Click to view the all-period summary view.
- Add Rate: Click to manually add and maintain a period row to the table. You must use the add tool if you have not created a detailed budget to sync the data to these screens.
- Recalculate: Will refresh the rows with calculations in the manually entered rows or to refresh with changes made to the synced detailed budget.
- Sync: Will populate the Modular Budget Periods tabs with your detailed budget and rates. Use the Sync button to synchronize the detailed budget to the modular budget screens. The sync feature will use the budget data to populate the required fields for all budget periods in this Modular page as well as the S2S Modular Budget form. Use this option when you have a created, added all line items, and generated all budget periods in the detailed budget. NOTE: if you make updates to the detailed budget, be sure to return to this page and click sync again to update the modular budget. Once a detailed budget is synced to the modular period tabs, several fields remain editable for the user to customize the data that appears on the S2S form.
If you did not create a detailed budget, you must manually enter the required fields on each period tab to support the PHS Modular Budget form for electronic submission. Refer to your budget data (rates table, periods & totals screen, subaward line items, etc.) for the necessary details.
Redesigned Modular Budget
The new redesigned Modular Budget option in the proposal detailed budget offers a more streamline and user friendly interface when creating your Modular Budget. Be aware this newly redesigned Modular Budget only works when syncing from a detailed budget and can't currently be manually entered (forthcoming functionality).
By default, this option is not enabled so if you are a hosted customers please submit a support ticket for us to enable this functionality in your SBX for you review and provide feedback. On premise implementors please be aware this requires Core and is in the new git repo github.com/KualiCo/research-budget/. It is controlled via parameter Standalone_Budget_Enabled; when set to true it will enable the new option in the proposal budget Modular Budget tab.