The budget versions screen in proposal details provides the ability to add a budget, displays the list of the budget versions created for this proposal, and serves as a portal to navigate to the Budget via selecting an existing version or creating new version by adding or copying a budget. To add a budget version is to create a funding scenario. While many versions can exist, only one can be marked to Submit with Proposal: this ‘submit’ version is the one that will populate any budget forms, be reviewed for approval, be transmitted to the sponsor, populate the funding levels in the Institutional Proposal, and be available for use in the Award Budget should the project be funded.
Below outlines the functionality and options in the Budget tab of the proposal and for further detailed information on budget functionality see the Proposal Budget section in the knowledge base.
The Budget tab in the proposal will list all available budget versions (if any added) with the below information.
- Name: the budget version description entered when added to the proposal. Click on the user entered Name to open the budget version.
- Version: Each budget version added is assigned a sequential budget version.
- Direct Cost: the direct funding level for the budget version.
- F&A: the indirect costs for the budget version.
- Total: the combined direct and indirect (F&A) costs for this version.
- Start: the start date of the budget.
- End: the end date of the budget.
- Status: Incomplete or Complete. The Complete version will be submitted.
- Comments: optional text entered by the user for informational purposes.
Each budget version will also have an Action dropdown which gives more options for the specific budget version. Below outlines the Action button options and their function.
You also have the option to Add Budget in the top righthand corner to add a budget version(s) as needed.
Adding a Budget Version
Click the +Add Budget button to open the Create Budget Version window which gives the following available fields:
- Budget Name: enter a short budget name to aid distinguishing this budget version from any others you may create.
- Click a radio button to determine if the navigation in the budget when created should start for a detailed budget or a summary budget
- Detailed Budgets open at the Personnel screen so you can begin with maintaining and then adding those line items. Select this option if you will enter the Period 1 line item details for personnel and non-personnel and use the budget engine to apply the auto-calculations for rates, inflation, and budget period generation. These detailed entries will automatically update the Budget Summary screen.
- Summary Budgets open at the Details & Dates screen so you can enter the funding values. Select this option if you will only enter the lump sums (Direct, Indirect, Cost Sharing, and Under-Recovered F&A) in the Budget Summary screen.
- Modular budget - Click a yes or no radio button to answer if this budget will include navigation to the modular budget upon Save & Continue option - the user can manually navigate to the screen by clicking on the left navigation button if wanted.
- Yes: the budget navigation logic will include this screen as you click Save & Continue option.
- No: the budget navigation logic will not include this screen as you Save & Continue. The modular budget screen remains available, if needed.
View the Summary of a Budget Version
Users can generate a summary window of a budget to review the details of the budget. You can click the 'okay' button or 'x' in the upper right hand corner of the window to close the Summary popup window.
Copy a Budget Version
Users can make copy a budget by clicking the Copy link which will open the window to enter the new Budget Name and the following copy options:
- All Periods - will copy all periods from the budget version (use this when you want to make changes to an already generated budget)
- First Period Only - will only copy the first period from the budget version (use this when you want to make changes and generate the budget periods)
Once the above selection is made click the Copy Budget button to create the new budget version to generate and open. If you don't want to proceed with the copy action click cancel.
Print a Budget Version
Users can print the budget detail in a variety of format options. Upon clicking the print option the below report options are available.
Click in the checkbox in the Select column of the reports you wish to print. Click in the checkbox in the Include Comment column if you wish to print the user entered comments. Once selected click the Print button to generate the PDF file of the budget report, otherwise click Close. Please note these budget printouts will only populate when using the detailed budget with line items.
The budget will by default be set to a status of Incomplete but to lock a budget version down from edit you can mark it Complete. When Complete it will open in view mode only and no further edits can occur unless it's marked Incomplete again. If budget version(s) have been added to a proposal at least one must be set to Complete prior to submission into routing.
Include for Submission
Selecting a budget as 'Include for Submission' denotes it as the ‘final’ budget version; the specifics of this budget will be included in any forms, route with the proposal as the version to be reviewed, and populate the Institutional Proposal record when it is created from the approved and submitted proposal.
If you wish to change it to not be included for submission you can select 'Remove from Submisson'. If budget version(s) have been added to a proposal at least one must be set to 'Include for Submission' prior to submission into routing.