The Notifications table controls the system generated notifications that are available for several modules in Kuali Research. These notifications are triggered within the application and not related to workflow requests for Approval/FYI/Acknowledge. For example, Award Report Tracking, PI certification requests, a new Proposal has been created, are all types of system Notifications. These notifications are provided out of the box and cannot be deleted or new ones created. However, you can edit whether they're active, the message content, recipients, etc. of each notification. Below outlines how to use the Notifications table and configure to your institutional needs.
The Notifications maintenance table allows you to search by criteria to narrow down the notification you want to edit; the easiest way to refine the list is to search by the Module Code where the notification is present. The search will default to only Active (Yes) notifications so if you want to see all available search by Both.
Only those Notifications that are Active Yes are ones that can be utilized in the system. Once you find the Notification you want to edit (and have the necessary maintenance edit permissions) you can click the Edit button.
Editing a Notification
Within the edit of Notification there are a number of fields you can alter; below outlines what each field controls.
- Notification ID: Assigned by system and cannot be edited.
- Module Code: The Module associated with the Notification; typically this should never change.
- Action Code: Code associated with notification that is used in the system; do not change.
- Description: Description of the notification purpose.
- Subject: The text that will be used for the Subject of notification email.
- Message: The text that will be used for the content of the notification email. You can use HTML formatting and Notification Tokens to pull associated record information.
- Email Only: If checked, it will only send the email notification to recipients and not generate a workflow Notification request in their Action List. If unchecked, both an email and workflow Notification request in their Action List will be created; and end a corresponding workflow email. NOTE: this functionality will only work if parameter EMAIL_ONLY_NOTIFICATIONS_ENABLED is set as true; otherwise it will not send emails if this is checked but the parameter is set to false.
- From Address: If the Email Only is checked, you can specify a different From Address in the email that sends out instead of the standard FROM address configured in the EMAIL_NOTIFICATION_FROM_ADDRESS parameter. This will only be used if 'Email Only' is checked. If blank, it will use the from address configured in the parameter.
- Prompt User: If checked, the notification when triggered will bring up a popup window so the user can edit the content/recipients on that specific notification and then send. If unchecked, it will send automatically how it's configured. Not applicable to Ad Hoc notifications.
- Active: If checked, the Notification is active and being sent in the system if triggered. If unchecked, it will not send the notification.
In the Recipients section is where the notification will be sent by default. These are driven from roles configured in the Notification Module Roles table.
- Role: Dropdown selection driven from the roles configured in the Notification Module Roles table; notification will send to all members in this role.
- Sub Role: If the role has sub groups under the Role Type Name you can then narrow down the subset of users further. For example, 'Derived Role: All Proposal Unit Administrators' you can then select the specific unit administrator type you would like to receive the notification
You can delete or add Recipients as desired for each notifications.
These system generated notifications can be tracked in Proposal Notifications tab and the Awards Notifications panel in the Award Actions tab. Each system triggered notification will get a separate row with Date Created, Recipients, Subject, and Message content. Again, these are only system generated notifications and not workflow Approval/FYI/Acknowledge requests emails; the audit of those can be previewed in the Route Log.
Related Maintenance Tables and Articles