The Kuali Research system includes a mechanism to track training that has been completed by individuals at your institution. This training system can be integrated with an external system like CITI as shown in the Technical - Configuring Kuali Research with CITI article, but it can also be used to manage trainings that you run at your institution. An example of the type of training that an institution might manage manually is Proposal Development training that is required before a user is allowed to create new Proposals in the Kuali Research system. Before an institution can maintain training that has been completed by an individual they have to setup Training Courses or Types in the system. Then they can associate these courses with users who have completed the course requirements. These training configurations can also be setup to integrate with the Kuali COI module as shown in the COI - Training Integration for MySQL COI or using the Training Template Gadget for COI or Protocol modules.
Create a Training Type
The first step is to add a Training Type to the Kuali System. For the remainder of this guide we will be setting up a Proposal Development training type, and then enter that for a user in the system.
Navigate to the System Admin Portal > Maintenance > Miscellaneous > Training
Once you are in the Training lookup screen you will click search to see what the next available Training Type ID is - sort your search returns by Training Code and note the next available number. Next click the "create new" button in the upper right hand corner of the screen and complete the following fields on the new Training Type page.
- Description (Document Overview): Enter a description per your institution's naming standards.
- Training Code: Enter the next available Training Code that you noted above.
- Description (Edit Training): Enter the name of your Training Type here. It is common to just use the name of the course that you advertise to your user community.
Once you've completed these fields press the submit button at the bottom of the screen.
Enter Person Training
Now when an individual at your institution completes this training you can load that information into the Person Training table.
Navigate to the System Admin Portal > Maintenance > Miscellaneous > Person Training
Click the create new button in the upper right hand corner of the screen and complete the following fields on the Person Training Maintenance Document screen.
- Description: Enter a description per your institution's naming standards.
- Person Id: The Person Id of the individual who's training you are entering. There is a lookup icon available so you can search for this individual in the Person table and return their Id.
- Training: Select the Training Type that is appropriate for the training this user has completed.
- Date Requested: This is an optional field for tracking if someone requested that this training be completed. It is possible to enter a training entry at the point of request without entering a Submitted or Acknowledged date and then edit the training later to add those dates.
- Date Submitted: This is the date the training was completed.
- Date Acknowledged: This is an optional field to record the date that the training completion was received and acknowledged by the office managing your training records.
- Followup Date: This is an optional field commonly used as the expiration date, though occasionally there are followup requirements for training that aren't tied to a hard expiration that this field can also be used to track.
- Score: This is an optional field that can be used to record the score the user earned at the end of their training, if appropriate.
- Comments: If any general comments need to be captured about this training then can be entered here.
- Active: This should be left checked, unless a training becomes inactive for some reason.
Once you have completed all of these fields press the submit button at the bottom of the screen.
This training will now display in the Proposal Development document if this user is listed in the Personnel section.
To see how training displays in COI MySQL version see the COI - Training Integration article or you can use the Training Template Gadget to incorporate this training information in either Protocols or COI.