The Unit Administrator table in Kuali Research makes it incredibly easy to keep all of your unit contacts, approvers, delegates, etc. in a single place. In addition to the various functionality in the Kuali Research modules that reference and leverage the Unit Administrator table it is possible to setup custom derived roles to drive workflow, permissions, and notifications to specific Unit Administrator types. While the initial setup requires someone who is versed in maintenance tables that are generally reserved for front end System Administrators, once the setup is complete it is possible to have functional administrators own permission and routing maintenance during the life of a Kuali Research implementation.
Adding a Unit Administrator Type
The first step of this process is to add a new Unit Administrator Type. The rest of this article will go through the steps of setting up a Unit Head Delegate Unit Administrator type and a Derived Role that is linked to that specific Unit Administrator Type.
From the main Kuali Research portal click on the System Admin portal menu
Make sure you are on the Maintenance screen. The first heading on the Maintenance screen is Shared. If you see a different screen press the Maintenance link at the top of the screen.
Scroll down the Shared men and click on Unit Administrator Type
On the Unit Administrator Type screen execute an open search to review the existing Unit Administrator Types and confirm that the type you need is not already in the system. If it is not, then note the next available Unit Administrator Type Code and press the create new button in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
Complete the following fields
- Description: Enter a description that meets the naming conventions for your institution.
- Unit Administrator Code: Enter the number you noted right before clicking Create New
- Description: Enter the name for your Unit Administrator Type. This will be used to tie this type to the role you will create later in the process.
- Multiples Flag: There are two options for this field
- No: If you enter this then the system will only allow one person to have this Unit Administrator Type for a given unit. (Example: Each Unit can only have 1 unit head)
- Yes: If you enter this then the system will allow any number of individuals to have this Unit Administrator Type for a given unit. (A college dean can assign any number of Unit Head Delegates who are able to approve proposals for him)
- Default Group Flag: There are two valid values for this field
- U: If you enter this then the system will identify this Unit Administrator type as a Unit type and will pull these users into IPs and Awards as a Unit Contact if the Unit they are assigned is listed as the Lead Unit and the document is synced to Unit Contacts.
- C: If you enter this then the system will identify this Unit Administrator Type as a Central contact and these individuals will be pulled in as central admin contacts if the unit listed is the lead unit on a document.
Press the submit button at the bottom of the screen when all of the fields are complete.
Create a Derived Role
The next step is setting up a new Derived Role for your Unit Administrator Type. To do this you will create a role using the KC-PD: Derived Role: Generic Unit Administrators role type. As long as the role name matches the Description for your Unit Administrator the role will include everyone with that Unit Administrator type.
To create a new role navigate to the System Admin screen and click on the role link in the Identity section. Next click on the create new button in the upper right hand corner of the Role search screen.
Enter the following values in the Role Type search screen.
- Namespace: KC-PD - Proposal Development
- Type Name: *Generic*
Confirm that the role type that returns is named Derived Role: Generic Unit Administrators. Click the return value link next to this entry.
Complete the following fields in your role document
- Description: Enter a description that follows the description naming conventions for your institution.
- Namespace: KC-PD - Proposal Development
- Role Name: The exact value you entered for Description in your Unit Administrator Setup
- Active: Leave this checked
- Description: Indicate what this role is being used for to make things easier on future administrators.
- Permissions: You can add permissions to this role, and they will automatically be assigned to Unit Administrators of the type listed in the Role Name. They will only gain these permissions for the all Proposal Development documents that include this unit as a Lead Unit or an additional Proposal Unit. They will gain these permissions for all Awards that have this unit listed as the Lead Unit, but will not be given access based on additional participating units on Awards. You can also assign Negotiation and Subaward permissions here, but these documents do not have additional participating units, so access will only be assigned based on the primary unit for those documents. These permissions will not descend the hierarchy, so you can assign permissions to a chair for their unit, but you can't assign permissions to a dean for all the units that report up to them unless they are listed for every unit they are responsible for in the Unit Administrator table.
Once you have proofed your document press the submit button. This role can now be used in a KC-WKFLW - Unit Specific Development Proposal Peopleflow type PeopleFlow document, or to drive Notification delivery.