The new Action Items functionality will soon be replacing existing commenting functionality in Kuali Research Protocols. We're excited to transition to this new upgraded functionality but want to give you advanced notice to make the necessary updates locally for training, documentation, etc. Below outlines the new Action Items features, migration of existing comments, and timeline of transition.
The new Action Items functionality was developed by our engineers in conjunction with great user feedback in customer design sessions. Action Items allows administrators and reviewers to converse more efficiently with researchers to greatly improve the protocol review process. A high level overview of some of the new features/functionality of Action Items:
- Protocol Admins and assigned reviewers can add, edit and delete their own Action Items.
- Each Action Item displays the timestamp and user who created it.
- Admins can set visibility of Action Items to Researcher, Reviewer, or to be added to meeting agenda/minutes.
- The user who created the Action Item is not displayed to the researcher when the protocol is sent back with visible Action Items (shown as anonymous).
- Users with edit protocol permission can reply to Action Items (in addition to revising the field).
- Configuration is available to enable any committee member to add action items on a study after opening protocol through the agenda.
- Users can add more than one Action Item to a given field.
- Users can edit and delete their own Action Item while in editable state.
- Admins can set Action Item as resolved/unresolved.
- Action Items Summary provides a summary of Action Items and replies.
- Action Items will stay visible throughout the life of the protocol.
A complete overview of new filter and search functionality and how to use can be found in the Protocols - Review and Action Items article.
Migration of Comments to Action Items
Existing comments will be automatically migrated to new Action Items in protocols. Once enabled it will copy over review comments to Action Items. Be aware that some dates may be blank on older comments where dates were not recorded previously but more recent comments will have dates. Review comments on prior protocol versions that previously were not visible after approval will now be viewable as Action Items.
Timeline for Transition
We plan to enable across all customer SBX/STG environments on 5/15/20 and then to PRD environments on 6/1/20. If you would like it applied earlier please submit a support ticket and we can get it enabled. Or if you have any concerns with the rollout timeline please also submit a support ticket and we can discuss.