The Kuali Research system comes with a wide variety of pre-configured roles designed to meet the majority of permissions configuration needs. There are circumstances where a school may want to build a custom role to simplify maintaining their permission structure.
Create a Custom Role
Navigate to System Admin Portal > System Admin > Identity > Role
Click the create new button in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
Search for the role type you want to use. The Following three role types will be used for the majority of custom roles in the system.
- Default: This role type will assign permissions to members of the role with no unit modifier. For most permissions this will give the user access to the actions controlled by that permission in all documents in the system. The Create ProposalDevelopmentDocument and Modify Award permissions require unit modification to perform as expected, and will not work properly with this role type.
- Unit: This role type requires a Unit Modifier for each membership. A user may be added to these types of roles multiple times so they can be associated with multiple units. A user in a Unit role will be assigned the permissions in that role for each unit they have a membership associated with.
- UnitHierarchy: In addition to the features of the Unit role each membership in a UnitHierarchy role can be flagged as Descends Hierarchy. If this flag is turned on for a membership then that user will gain all permissions for the unit assigned to them, and each unit beneath the unit associated with their membership in the Unit Hierarchy.
Example: Barbara Borst is a member of the Role Create Proposal Development All Units, which is a Unit Hierarchy role. Her membership is associated with BL-IIDC and has the descend hierarchy flag turned on. She can create proposals with a Lead Unit of BL-IIDC, BL-IIRC, or BL-IICC. BL-IIRC and BL-IICC are both centers that report up to BL-IIDC on Barbara's Unit Hierarchy.
Once you've found the role type you're looking for press the return selected link next to your role type.
Complete the following fields in your role document
- Description: Enter a description that follows the description naming conventions for your institution.
- Namespace: Enter the namespace that is most appropriate to the permissions you are assigning to this role.
- Role Name: The exact value you entered for Description in your Unit Administrator Setup
- Active: Leave this checked
- Description: Indicate what this role is being used for to make things easier on future administrators.
- Permissions: Any permissions you add to this role will automatically be assigned to members of this role based per the behavior described above in the Role Type breakdown.
You can add members in the Assignees section at this point, or add them later via the Person document.
Once you have proofed your document press the submit button.