Most of the time Institutional Proposal documents are created when a Proposal Development document is fully approved and submitted to sponsor. In some cases it is necessary to manually create an Institutional Proposal to load in a record that did not require routing, such as unfunded agreements, proposals routed via a paper process, or records entered in as part of a manual data conversion process. The first step to creating a manual Institutional Proposal document is the creation of a Proposal Log, which is then elevated to a full Institutional Proposal document.
Creating a Proposal Log
To create a Proposal Log click the + button next to the Proposal Log listing in the Unit or Central Admin menus.
Complete the following fields before finalizing your Proposal Log:
- Description: Enter A Description appropriate to your institution's Description naming conventions.
- Proposal Log Type: This field will default to Permanent. This is the correct choice for elevation to an IP.
- Proposal Type: Enter the Proposal Type you want to populate your Institutional Proposal.
- Principal Investigator (Employee): Enter your PI.
- Note: If your institution allows non employees to be listed as PI you can use Principle Investigator (Non-Employee) for this step, but be certain this is permissible at your institution.
- Lead Unit: The Unit that is responsible for managing the primary activities of this project
- Sponsor: Lookup and return the appropriate sponsor for this proposal. When you do this the Sponsor Name field will populate automatically.
You can fill out the following optional fields if they are appropriate to your proposal, but they are not required to create an IP document.
- Comments: Include any details about this record that don't fit in the other fields.
- Deadline Date: If appropriate list the deadline date for the proposal.
- Deadline Time: If appropriate list the deadline time for the proposal.
Submit your Proposal Log to Finalize it.
Elevating a Proposal Log to Institutional Proposal
To create an Institutional Proposal click the + button next to the Institutional Proposal listing in the Unit or Central Admin menus. This will bring you to a Proposal Log search.
Search for the Proposal Log you created above, and click the select link next to your Proposal Log.
Click show next to the Institutional Proposal panel and complete the following required fields to save an Institutional Proposal document, and confirm the data that pulled forward from your Proposal Log.
- Description Panel:
- Description: Enter A Description appropriate to your institution's Description naming conventions
- Institutional Proposal Panel:
- Status: This field defaults to Pending. Change to a different Status if appropriate.
- Proposal Type: This pulls forward from Proposal Log. Verify the value.
- Activity Type: Enter the appropriate Activity Type as defined by your institution for this IP.
- Project Title: This pulls forward from the Proposal Log. Verify the value.
- Summary Comments: This pulls forward from the Proposal Log Comments field. Verify the comments.
- Sponsor & Program Information Panel:
- Sponsor ID: This pulls forward from the Proposal Log. Verify the value.
- Sponsor Deadline Date: This pulls forward from the Proposal Log. Verify the value.
- Sponsor Deadline Time: This pulls forward from the Proposal Log. Verify the value.
Navigate to the Contacts Tab to Confirm your PI entry
Complete the rest of the information in the Institutional Proposal Document per your institution's business process, then navigate to the Institutional Proposal Document Actions tab and turn on Validation to make sure you haven't missed any data entry requirements.
Once you have cleared all the errors displaying in the validation interface press the submit button at the bottom of the Institutional Proposal Actions tab.